Two Cacao Nib recipes to inspire you!
Cacao Nibs & Spice Rub on Roasted Chicken with Roasted Butternut Squash and Spinach
Cacao Nibs & Spice Rub
1/4 cups sea salt
1 tbsp white sugar
2 tbsp brown sugar
3 tbsp garlic powder
1 tbsp onion powder
3 tbsp cumin
2 tbsp chili powder
2 tbsp black pepper
1 tbsp ground sage
1 tbsp ground thyme
3 tbsp Bixby & Co. Cacao Nibs
Mix spices and cacao nibs together. Store rub in an airtight container in a dry place.
Roasted Chicken with Rub
3lb chicken. Rinsed, dried, fat removed
1 large onion chopped
2 cloves garlic
3 sprigs Thyme
1 sprig of Sage
1 tbsp oil
3 tbsp Bixby & Co. Cacao & Spice Rub
2lb Butternut squash, peeled, cubed
2 tbsp honey
1 tsp cinnamon
preheat oven to 425F
1) Season chicken inside with salt and pepper
2) Put herbs, onion, garlic inside bird then, twist the wings under bird, tie legs together
3) Rub outside of bird with oil
4) Rub 3 tbsp of Cacao Rub all over the bird. Allow to rest at least an hour, or overnight.
4) Cook bird of about one hour, until juices run clear, insuring internal temp is above 160 F.
5) Toss squash with the honey, cinnamon, and salt and pepper. Roast in oven 15 to 20 minutes, or till tender.
6) While squash is roasting, remove bird from oven, tent with foil.. let it rest (about 15 minutes)
7) Place a small bed of spinach on plate. Place squash on spinach. Serve the chicken on the side.
Oatmeal Cacao Nib Bites
5 tbsp vegan margarine*
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 tbsp Flax meal, soaked in 2 tbsp water
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 cup rolled oats
1/2 cup white or whole wheat flour**
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup Bixby & Co. Cacao Nibs
preheat oven to 375F
1) Cream margarine and sugar, then add Flax meal
2) In separate bowl, mix together vanilla, rolled oats, flour, backing soda, backing powder, salt, and Bixby & Co. Cacao Nibs.
3) Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and mix by hand until well combined.
4) Drop 2 tbsp dough balls onto baking sheet covered with parchment paper
5) Slightly press down dough to flatten ever so slightly
6) Bake in oven for 6 to 8 minutes.
* substitute for regular margarine
** substitute with gluten free flour