Chocolate Cherry Smoothie Bowl with Cacao and Maple Granola
Dig into a nourishing and delicious smoothie bowl that’s perfect for summertime. This vegan dish features a classic combination: chocolate and cherries. Crunchy cacao nibs punctuate each smooth and cool bite. Juicy and sweet cherries are the star of the show appearing both in your bowl and on top! A homemade Maple Granola adds a fiber-full and protein-packed punch that will keep you full all morning long.
1 large banana
1 cup frozen cherries
2 tbsp cacao nibs
½ cup coconut milk
½ cup rolled oats
2 tbsp whole wheat flour
¼ cup chopped pecans
¼ cup slivered almonds
2 tbsp maple syrup
2 tbsp coconut oil
½ tsp pure vanilla extract
Pinch of sea salt
½ cup fresh or frozen cherries, pitted
Or fruit of choice
- Preheat the oven 350 Fahrenheit and prepare the granola. In a large mixing bowl, combine the rolled oats, whole wheat flour, pecans, almonds, maple syrup, coconut oil, vanilla extract, and sea salt.
- Note: melt coconut oil beforehand if necessary.
- Spread the granola on a baking sheet lined with parchment into an even layer and bake for 25-30 minutes, or until the granola is toasted all of the way through. Remove from the oven and allow to cool before breaking into large chunks.
- Prepare the smoothie. Add the banana, cherries, cacao nibs, and coconut milk to a high powered blender. Blend on high until smooth, using a rubber spatula to incorporate the mix-ins as needed.
- Portion the smoothie into two bowls. Top with granola and fresh or frozen cherries or fruit of choice.
- Note: halve the smoothie recipe for a single serving, and store the maple granola for next time if desired!